Re: Transmission question

>My tranny is going out on my 86 8v Rocco and I was wondering if I
>could put a 8v Golf Tranny on it.  Because the local junk yard has
>one rocco with no engine or tranny but they have plenty of
>Golfs/Jettas.  Are they the same thing or totally different.  I need
>to get my car on the road by next weekend so I can go to a small Vw
>club meeting.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

They are mostly the same.  Since you have an 8v, it will have
the slightly smaller input shaft then the 16v's, so the replacement
tranny would fit the clutch you already have if you got it from
another 8v.  You might want to get familiar with the gear ratio /
tranny code chart from a few places around the web.   Um,
http://emsport.hypermart.net has a nice chart with Javascript rpm /
speed converter calculator.   Basically, any 020 based transmission
can be made to work, you have few worries.  After you get one, tell
us which code you got.  Oh, you might want to drain it first, because
transporting it at a different orientation might cause it to leak.
Good luck!

==Brett