Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

> Maybe this is one more of the car companies ploys to make the car last
> shorter life.  I am in school for automotive design, and one thing I
have
> learned is that the technology is there to make a car that lasts over
50
> years easily.  Car companies refuse to produce such a vehicle because
then
> who would they sell cars to once everyone has a car that lasts them
forever.

I dunno about that,... I've got an '82 Rabbit Diesel Pick-up with
~475,000 miles on it that still runs great.  The seats aren't even too
badly sacked out.  And it'll just about run on Crisco oil.  (wonder what
octane that stuff is?)  Of course, in another 32 years I'll probably be
senile and my kids won't want the old Caddy, so maybe it doesn't need to
last that long.
-kevin in Texas