Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel? >>

>Their is no benefit from using high octane fuel on a car that does not
>require it.  The only benefit would possibly be in the long run.

OK. I have a comment about this. On my '80 Scirocco the door sticker says
"91 octane minimum". I would have to beleive that running low octane fuel is
not within manufacturers guidelines.

Now I cannot say if high octane fuel helps the stock average car. I can say
that I notice a significant increase in performance when I run 115 octane in
my car as opposed to the pump fuel. Of course the car that I put this into
is designed for performance. The other '80 Scirocco is stock. This is why I
have not put this high octane fuel in it. Its just too expensive. Although
with the price of fuel these days I might try it seeing as how it is only
about 75 cents more than pump fuel.

Neither cars detonate. I doesnt matter what octane I use. This is in
reference to the various octane choices at the pump

I would have to say that if the door sticker says 91 octane minimum that
this would mean that the car requires it. I cannot speak for the octane
requirement of MKII's as how I don't own one. My performance car has a 16V
though.

Just my 1.50$ (inflation and gas prices ya know)

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag (Scirocco of course)