Re: 16v kit , tach questions

>Hi,
>
>I've got an '84 8v, that (needles to say) I love to drive.  I have heard
>great things about the 16v kits and was wondering whether it was worth it or
>not.  I'm not much of a mechanic so would it be to big of a job to do??

There are entirely different engines that are made to be 16v's, but no
engine kits.  It can be a very big hassle, depending on how used everything
is, and how much you want to replace.  You could spend as little as
$500-$800 for a 1.8L 16v tall block and just throw it in, reusing
everything.  Or you could spend 5-6k replacing everything, and making it
look nice.  There's a little room to maneuver in between as you can see.

>Also I heard something about a switch that controled the reverse lights??
>Mine don't work right now, and I don't have a lot of time to work with the
>electrical system.

It's the reverse light switch, upshift indicator switch located on
top of you transmission.  Look next to the passenger side motor mount
towards the engine, probably has 3 or 4 wires sticking out of it. Maybe
your wires are just corroded or broken, check that first before replacing
the unit.

>One more thing...is it common for the tach to go bad??

No, not really.

> When I bought the
>car, it worked, but after that it became very intermitent and doesn't work
>at all right now.  I've disassembled the entire guage cluster but to no
>avail.  Do I need to replace the entire cluster??

There's probably a bad secondary coil wire (not the big center one)...
check and clean them.

>Will Loedy

==Brett