Block heaters?

I have thought of getting a block heater for my car.  I have to leave at
around 7:00 am, so there is not a lot of time for me to run up a very long,
very cold, very snowy, and very slippery set of stairs with 10 inches of
snow to start my car 5 mins sooner.  Would a VW diesel block warmer work?  I
tried looking at a diesel Rabbit, but the electrical cord went behind the
engine, and I could not see it.  Is the wamer an oil warmer or a freeze-plug
style coolant warmer?