Re: Block heaters?

>I have thought of getting a block heater for my car.  I have to
>leave at around 7:00 am, so there is not a lot of time for me to run
>up a very long, very cold, very snowy, and very slippery set of
>stairs with 10 inches of snow to start my car 5 mins sooner.  Would
>a VW diesel block warmer work?  I tried looking at a diesel Rabbit,
>but the electrical cord went behind the engine, and I could not see
>it.  Is the wamer an oil warmer or a freeze-plug style coolant
>warmer?

The only block heater in a gas VW I've ever seen was a freeze plug type,
and I'd classify it as a dismal failure.  It had come loose allowing
the coolent to leak out very nicely...based on that experience (Mike's
16v donor car was in _such_ nice condition :) ) I'd never get one.

Run 10w30 or lighter, make sure you have good clean battery wires (at
both ends!) and a good battery.  YOu might want to consider upgrading
your wires to something like 4ga.  Check out the quickcable website
for info on this, there's link off scirocco.org

==Brett