Re: Should be an easy one for you pros (fwd)

>I just got back from a shop, my '86 16v with a new clutch. Ever had your
>clutch go out on a busy bridge full of commuters?  I'm sure my car was
>mentioned on all the local radio stations. Problem now is that the 'shift now
>stupid' light on the dash is on most of the time.  It's like it's working in
>reverse.  When I'm on the highway it's on.  The shop wanted more cash, I had
>to leave town for a few weeks, so I told them to forget it.  They're liable to
>screw up something else anyway.  Now I noticed that the backup lights don't
>work either.  The shop says there is a switch that controls both under the
>coolant return bottle.  Couldn't find anything that he described.
>
>What do I need to look for and where is it?
>
>Thanks for the help.

Ruben

Well, your shop is mostly correct. :)  Both the back up lights and
the upshift light operate from the same area...on top of the transmission.
There's a module with a wire connector or two sticking out of it.
It's the only thing coming out of the top of the transaxle that looks
like wires besides the speedo line.  not to hard to R&R...There's also
a relay you can pull if you don't want to see it anymore, not exactly
sure which one, but someone here knows.

==Brett