Re: Cheesing Air box

In a message dated 9/15/99 10:17:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
skerocdriver@juno.com writes:

<< Maybe its me but, you just said you "wouldn't swiss cheeze" the airbox
 but would rather drill 8 to 12 holes in the airbox..... um. Forgive me if
 im wrong here but aint that swiss cheezing the airbox, boss?  >>

Hey pal, no reason to get huffy and go name calling!  Forgive me if I came
across as doing anything but expressing my dissagreement in a what I thought
was a friendly and passive manner.  Hey, when I think of a slice of Swiss
cheese, I think of holes on more than one side of it!!  Infact I think that a
slice of Swiss cheese is nothing short of imposterous if it is not covered
with holes on every side!!  :)  Incidentally, I still disagree...

I am curious as to how you conducted this exstensive underhood temperature
testing?  Don't get all bent out of shape man, I am just curious.  I am not
saying that you lack any, nor am I undermining any ability you may have to
conduct innovative testing in a conclusive fashion either.  Geez, especially
for the sake of deriving ideas and theories for the sake of improving the
performance of Sciroccos!!  Again, I am just curious.

In a space such as the engine compartment of a car which is mostly enclosed
except for the underneath and the front grill (which is blocked mostly by the
radiator anyhow), an engine combustes gas at extremely hot temperatures.
Granted, there are cooling devises that keep this temperature somewhat
reduced.  But if I take my 16v out for a high speed high rpm freeway run on
a, let's say 55 degree day, when I get back and park my car, my hand will
feel that the hood is nice and warm.  Granted at that point the car is not
moving.  But I bet that if there was a way to feel the hood with your hand at
freeway speeds when the engine is running cooler, the hood would still feel
nice and warm.  So how can there be virtually no air temp. differential
between outside air and the air on the engine side of your airbox at all
times when driving your car?

The idea of drilling holes in the airbox is to increase positive cool
airflow...  Therefore it is recommended by myself, all auto gurus that I know
that are far more knowledgable than I am... oh and there is also this book
entitled: "Volkswagen Sport Tuning for Street and Competition" by a fella
named Per Schroeder who seems to by quite well accredited: 1996 SCCA
Southeast Divisional Champion (Solo II H-Stock), has won several SCCA
National Tours, was a 1997 Solo II Nationals trophy winner, and a graduate of
a Polytechnic Institute... plus he has written a book.

On page 91 he states (with a nice picture): "In addition to fitting a K&N air
filter, you can also modify the box that the filter is housed in.  This would
include removing the preheating system and cutting holes in the airbox to
improve airflow.  Additional holes should be cut in the front of the box near
the headlight and the side that faces the fender well to allow cold, dense
air to enter the engine."

 (pg 91-92)
    "No additional holes should be cut in the engine side to prevent hot air
from entering the intake system.  The colder the intake air is, the more
horsepower an engine can put out, and pre-ignition of the fuel-air mixture
(knocking and pinging) will be reduced."

He also goes on to talk more about the ram-air idea.

Ben
88 16v Scirocco

P.S.I aint trying to piss people off, especially in a forum of Scirocco
enthusiasts.  Sorry if I came across that way to you.