Re: oil cooler/oil heat exchanger combo?

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> But the question arises; If you are going to shut it off whenever the car
> gets hot, how is it helping you cool the oil during hard driving?

It won't. That's what the air to oil cooler is for.

> It seems with this setup, you are improving  cooling ability at medium
> operating temps, and I havn't had any problems with overheating at mild
> temperatures, have you? :-)

Nope. Again that is what the air to oil cooler is there for.

> You might be able to rig this electronically if you used
> identical temp sensors, and a solenoid for the manual control (see
> below). just a thought.

See below? There's nothing there and I'm really interested to see how this
could be done. Ideally, it'd be a range of temperatures that the system
should work with. Damn, I can program a computer so why does this have to be
so difficult?...

> well, most thermostats that I've seen are the kind that open when hot,
> I'm sure there are ones that close when hot, but they are probably
> pretty uncommon.

Have any idea where I'd find something like this?

> Anyway, to use a open-when-hot thermostat, you would
> need to set up a bypass hose for the heat exchanger. That way, when hot,
> the thermostat would open and coolant would mostly flow through the
> bypass. Difficult, and a PITA if you ask me. :-)

Nah, a close when hot thermostat is the only way to go. I agree with
completely here.

> Is this for a rally/race car?

No, actually this is for my daily driver Scirocco project. The rally car
would also benifit from it. However, I'd rather keep that car as simple as
possible. Also, once I warm it up, it stays pretty damned hot for the
duration of the day!

> Or you could control the valve with a solenoid mechanism and electronic
> signals from the water
> and oil temp senders.
>
> whew,  HTH

Yes, Jonas. You're on a roll, here. However, I'm a dunce with this sort of
thing so you ain't finished yet! A signal could be sent from the oil temp
sender and some kind of doohickey could take measure the resistance or
voltage (or whatever). And then at some preset measured level it would then
actuate the solenoid, cutting off the flow of coolant, right? Help me now...
I've got only the most rudimentary understanding of electrical matters.
Architect me a simple circuit here will someone?

This now seems like the only way to go. Agreed?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut