Re: 16v tranny self machine question

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:26:25 EDT Captnbr@aol.com writes:
>I have heard a lot about this lately.  OK, exactly what happens in the
tranny
>when this happens?

Rivit gets broken because a couple of $0.10 clips not being installed at
the factory. The rivit either becomes a projectile or a cutting tool and
usually both. As the diff turns the rivit will stick and cut a groove all
the way around until it finds a weak spot (Usually at the bottom part of
the trans case facing the flywheel) and punches a hole thru the case.

>My rocco has aprox 150,000 miles on it and I pray that
>this will never happen.  Can you tell it is going to happen before hand,
are
>there any signs that it is about to happen?

No signs. It just happens and your SOL.
In my case I was autoxing. Going into a right hander, the rear end got
really loose. Figured I had simply got into the corner too hot or
something. Drove into a right hander and it got loose again. Hmm, feels
like I got a tire going down. For whatever reason, I look over my
shoulder to see the previously loose turn only to see a cloud of white
smoke drifiting accross the track. I completed the run and when I
stopped, smoke billowed from under the car. Checked temp guages and
everything was fine. Open door, hang my head under the car and see fluid
gushing from the tranny area. So I pulled it into the pits. Everything
worked fine, it even drove fine.
Buh-bye FF and Hello 4K!

>I consider myself to have an
>excellent tranny for its age, No grinding, smooth shifting, syncros seem

>good. is there anything that can be done to prevent it, like frequent
oil
>change.

The only thing you can do is have it opened (-rebuilt-. Same thing
because in order to see if both clips are installed you must pull the
differential and the differential is the first thing to go into the
tranny. ) and inspected.

>To those who have had this happen to them, what fluid were you using?
Were
>you using Red line?  I have heard people swear by Red line that it makes
the
>shifting real smooth and I have also heard it can cause problems later
down
>the road.  I have not done the switch yet.

Tranny fluid doesnt matter. I was using NEO synthetic at the time. Its a
mechanical fault.

>What type of driving do you do., city, Highway, balls to the wall at
every
>light, never reving past 5000.  I am just trying to correlate these
things to
>see if it can be prevented.

50/50 hard street driving easy cruising mixed in with as much
autocrossing I can get in.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and