Fw: Having problems with 16v, Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever you are diagnosing anything, you have to know what condition the
basics are in--Tune-up especially.  Although I would suspect that the Fuel
pump is dieing on you.  The resistance gets too high and makes the fuel pump
relay click like mad and get hot.  As far as the adjusting the air fuel
mixture/air flow meter, you need a gas analyzer to do it accurately or a
good DMM so you can check duty cycle.  If the air flow meter is adjusted
improperly though, it will mostly affect idle unless you idle the car alot
then it will carbon things up and possibly foul plugs.  A possibility for
the initial problem could be a stuck on cold start injector.  I had this
problem and I would have a hard time starting it, then it would run rough
and smoke until I cleared it out, then after a few seconds idling, it would
start to load up again.  So, Initially, I would check out the relay and fuel
pump--pressure and delivery.  Next I would replace worn tune-up parts or
verify that they are serviceable, then go into the fuel system diagnosis
from there.  When diagnosing anything, hit the basics first.  Then if it is
a cap, your not trying to test the computer or coil for a rough run problem.
HTH!!  LMK what happens!!

Dave
Master Tech
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v