Having problems with 16v, Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there,

    Well, a few weeks back, my 88 16v Scirocco started blowing black smoke
out the tail pipe.  It would do this whenever I would accelerate, and also
whenever I would hit the gas after upshifting.  Anyway, a rather knowledgable
guy I consulted with told me that he suspected that I had a bad injector or
two, maybe three.  He thought that maybe that the previous owner (I have only
had the car a month-and-a-half) didn't change the fuel filter often enough
and probably got debris lodged into some injectors from the worn out filter.
Also, the car idled hella high, like at 2200rpms.  So he took his little
allen wrench and adjusted the Co level screw in-between the fuel distributor
and the base of the intake hose on the airbox.  He adjusted it to where it
has much better throttle response, but would not idle.  It also almost ceased
blowing the smoke.  I suspect that the plugs are also fouled, need to check
them... no need to waste the $$ on plugs before correcting this fuel problem
or whatever problem it is.

    Anyway, that was about 4 weeks ago.  Just this evening I was driving
along, and being the pain in the ass that it is, every time I would come to a
stop, I would have to tap the gas with my foot and brake at the same time or
my car would die.  Then, my car would start to backfire every couple of miles
or so, and at one point when going up a minor incline the car uncontrollably
died.  Started right up again though still was running sluggishly.  My car is
running like a dog turd on wheels!!!!!  At any rate, this a whole afternoon
while my car is doing this, I am noticing a desperate clicking sound,
definetely coming from the relay panel.  Sure enough, after limping to my
house, I feel under my dash and relay # 67 is scorching hot!!!  Any ideas?

Thanx
Ben
88 16v Scirocco