Re: Having problems with 16v, Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---Vaughn8v@aol.com wrote:

> Hey there,
>
>     Well, a few weeks back, my 88 16v Scirocco started blowing black smoke
> out the tail pipe.

This is _probably_ due to an rich running condition, where too much fuel is
being injected as compared to the air allowed into the cylinders.

> It would do this whenever I would accelerate, and also
> whenever I would hit the gas after upshifting.  Anyway, a rather
knowledgable
> guy I consulted with told me that he suspected that I had a bad injector or
> two, maybe three.  He thought that maybe that the previous owner (I have
only
> had the car a month-and-a-half) didn't change the fuel filter often enough
> and probably got debris lodged into some injectors from the worn out filter.

Hmmm, possible.  Debris could affect the atomization of the fuel, but a
clogged injector is going to let less fuel into the cylinders (a lean
condition) not usually more...

> Also, the car idled hella high, like at 2200rpms.  So he took his little
> allen wrench and adjusted the Co level screw in-between the fuel distributor
> and the base of the intake hose on the airbox.  He adjusted it to where it
> has much better throttle response, but would not idle.  It also almost
ceased
> blowing the smoke.  I suspect that the plugs are also fouled, need to check
> them... no need to waste the $$ on plugs before correcting this fuel problem
> or whatever problem it is.

I would also suspect a closed-loop running condition, brought on by bad O2
sensor wiring/connections or a bad sensor.  You should never just adjust the
CO/mixture setting without the proper feedback tools such as a dwell meter on
the O2 sensor line, an EGR temp sensor, a CO tailpipe sniffer, or on CIS-E
equipped cars, a current meter on the DPR.  Many of these procedures are
outlined in the appropriate Bentley manual.

>     Anyway, that was about 4 weeks ago.  Just this evening I was driving
> along, and being the pain in the ass that it is, every time I would come to
> stop, I would have to tap the gas with my foot and brake at the same time or
> my car would die.

IN ADDITION, adjusting the CO will necessitate the adjustment of the timing
and the idle air bypass screw.  These three adjustments dance together, futzing
with one almost always means playing with the other two (if you want your
car to run a max power/efficiency that is).

>  Then, my car would start to backfire every couple of miles
> or so, and at one point when going up a minor incline the car uncontrollably
> died.

Incomplete burn probably caused by screwed with mixture and incorrect timing.
Timing is everything. :)

> Started right up again though still was running sluggishly.  My car is
> running like a dog turd on wheels!!!!!  At any rate, this a whole afternoon
> while my car is doing this, I am noticing a desperate clicking sound,
> definetely coming from the relay panel.  Sure enough, after limping to my
> house, I feel under my dash and relay # 67 is scorching hot!!!  Any ideas?

Yet another problem, this one sounds like it's fuel pump related.  Have you
checked your transfer pump (which being that your car is an 88 16v you have
one).  You might want to replace the relay on general circumstances, visit
your local wrecking yard for a fresh supply.

> Thanx
> Ben
> 88 16v Scirocco

later.