Re: upgrades, older engine, worht it?

>My '82 engine has 204000 on it and keeps on running great (it will prolly
>out live me) My question is do you freaks think it is feasable to upgrade
>parts like intakes, headers, a euro cam, and other bolt on parts to my 1.7,
>then when I am ready to put a JH engine in, swap the stuff? Are the parts
>the same for those two engines? BTW I meant freaks in the nicest possible
>way ;)

Yeah, those 1.7's are tanks. Here's my problem.. as you bolt on non-stock
parts that are meant to increase performance, they will also decrease the
life of your engine. Perhaps parts that are made for a 1.8 will make your
1.7 run better but, bolted on to thier 1.8 counterpart, where they're
supposed to be, the overall engine will last a lot longer.

Or I could be talking out of my ass.

I had an '82 with a built 1.7... header, GTI throttle body, larger pistons,
ported intake. It was a fast little car... Perhaps pushing 95hp or so... So,
yeah, it will work. But, it's probably easier sticking a JH in that.

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v