Re: vw lighting (with additions)

<x-flowed>Lighting can be upgraded in steps depending on how much you want to spend
(just like everything else :) ).  I will outline the steps from the cheapest
to the most expensive.  One thing you can quickly check is the actual
voltage you are getting at the bulbs.  First measure the voltage at your
battery, then pull a bulb connector and check it there too.  As your wiring
gets older, you might see a difference between these two voltages.  Voltage
drop causes a HUGE difference in light output.  I think 1 volt drop causes
80% light output.  Our MK1 had three volts of drop at the lights before it
was relayed and the light output was almost nothing!

1.  Add relays to your existing US lights.  I know this sounds silly, but
Shawn Meze did it and his US lights look like daylight now.  This requires
the least amount of money to spend because you're only buying relays and
wire.  If you are measuring less than 11 volts at your headlights, this will
make an enormous difference!!

2.  Step 1. plus 4x6 H4's & H1's.  Looks the same as the US lights, but if
you really look at the lens you will see the euro beam pattern is on the
lens.  I don't really know what these lenses cost, I think it's something
like $50 x 4 lenses.  These have a better light pattern than the US bulbs.

3.  Step 1. plus euro lights.  You will get a little more light out of the
bigger reflector in these than a 4x6 bulb.  Of course a used set of these is
$200+.  These really do have a nice light pattern.  They put a lot of light
on the road in front of you and to the side, but do not blind oncoming
traffic.

HTH,
Ian Overholt
'88 16v w/euros