Starting/running problems

Thanks, all for all the advise.  I've only been on the list a few days
and I already have gotten some good info.  This one is a biggie,
however.  It seems my car won't start!!  Let me explain....
Like I said, I have an '84 8V, stock with the expection on the Autotech
cam (installed by previous owner).  Ever since I got the car (last
Friday) it has had problems running.  It'll start, idle VERY rough and
low, and sputter and die.  Then, it may (or more usually) may not start
again, usually until the next day.  If I do manage to keep it running,
and it warms up, it runs like a top.  I have checked everything I can
think of except timing: cold start injector (checked out), fuel pump
fuse, relay, etc (all checked out), I put a new cap and rotor and new
Bosch Platinums in it (it had new wires), I checked wire resistance
(okay), compression is good (brand new head job).....I don't get it!!
I'm getting all kinds of fuel (I can smell it), I assume I'm getting
spark at the plugs...what is keeping my car from starting until the next
day? After it dies, it cranks and cranks and cranks, without even the
slightest hint of firing.  If it sits long enough, it starts right up.
Can anyone help a (slightly disenchanted) new Scirocco owner?
Thanks,
Nate
'84 8V Carman =o)