Re.: Dead cat?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>>From: "Ben Channard" <zeroid@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Dead cat?

>	I took my exhaust apart to align it to get rid of thumping noises and I
>took a look at my cat.  Nothing was rattling inside and there was a metal
>mesh at either end, through which I could see light from the other opening.
>I couldn't discern any honeycomb or matrix which folks have mentioned
>hollowing out.  Is this what I should be seeing in a healthy cat?  Thanks
>for any info.  benton-----

A dead catalytic converter will sound like it has loose pieces rattling
around inside.

Please, no more hollowing out of catalytic converters!  It gives you exactly
LESS horsepower than leaving it alone, or switching to a high flow unit
(ala: techtonics).  tt (www.tttuning.com) has done some of the most
extensive research on gas flow and engine performance of ANY company in the
business.  They have forgotten more about tuning the VW engine than most of
the other companies producing sporttuned exhaust systems.  At one point I
think tt had a replacement (p/n 253 150 @$150).  If not, price an entire tt
exhaust and that should be comparable to the factory replacement converter.

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR