Re: How can I improve a 1.5 carb engine ?

Not a single answer!
C'mon guys, surely there's someone out there that's upgraded a 1.5!
Or are they that worthless that it's not worth bothering?
What's the low-down on squeezing a few more horses out of one of these without major work?

Awaiting a flood of answers/flames ;-) ...

Ewan.

>>> "Ewan Hopkins" <ewanhopkins@hotmail.com> 18/10/99 10:41:37 >>>
A friend of mine has an '86 1.5 carb MKII scirocco, engine code JB, with a
pierburg 1B3 carb. It did originally have a 1.6 EW with the 2E2 carb but
obviously someone's blown the engine & swapped it.  I have a 1.6 engine,
code FR, with a pierburg 2b5 carb that I'm in the process of pulling from an
'82 GL auto.  I intend swapping the carb/inlet manifold to improve the 1.5s
performance. There is a fair difference in rated performance between the
engines - 70bhp vs. 85bhp - so is there anything else that is easily
swappable that might help - cam, exhaust manifold, etc?  I don't want to get
into head/piston swaps as I'd be as well just swapping the engines.  The car
has a 4+E box so some better mid-top torque would be helpful.  Any ideas
would be great.

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins
2.0 '85 Storm

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message and any files transmitted
with it have been swept by the Computeraid IT Services Department for the
presence of computer viruses.

To find out about the Services Computeraid can offer, visit us at
                                                                                www.computeraid.co.uk