How can I improve a 1.5 carb engine ?

<x-flowed>A friend of mine has an '86 1.5 carb MKII scirocco, engine code JB, with a
pierburg 1B3 carb. It did originally have a 1.6 EW with the 2E2 carb but
obviously someone's blown the engine & swapped it.  I have a 1.6 engine,
code FR, with a pierburg 2b5 carb that I'm in the process of pulling from an
'82 GL auto.  I intend swapping the carb/inlet manifold to improve the 1.5s
performance. There is a fair difference in rated performance between the
engines - 70bhp vs. 85bhp - so is there anything else that is easily
swappable that might help - cam, exhaust manifold, etc?  I don't want to get
into head/piston swaps as I'd be as well just swapping the engines.  The car
has a 4+E box so some better mid-top torque would be helpful.  Any ideas
would be great.

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins
2.0 '85 Storm