(was: resistance wire?) '81 16v wiring

<x-flowed>>Meze was right.............wow duck everyone, incoming lightenong bolt

>mine was a 78.........
>
>did you try applying 12v direct to the coil?

Well, the trusty multimeter says there's a good 12v at the coil terminals
(12v+ coming from fuse box C15, and a nice ground from the ICU).

Since the ground is what's switched on and off according to the ICU, the
problem should lie within the ICU and hall sender, right? Wrong. All wiring
is good, and components test fine.

Since the problem occurred with both the old and new engines, it's not the
engines. Since the 16v ran just fine when in the Jetta, everything's fine
there. It's the car.

Since gunning the gas while cranking made both the old and new engine
sputter, it's something in the car, right?

This all sucks. It's a simple circuit, and it just don't work.

I suppose it is possible that there's +12v coming from fuse box C15 while
the ignition's on, but suddenly drops while cranking the engine.

I'll check that asap. If that is the case, what could cause that?

A weak path between [ignition switch terminal 15] and [fuse box E2] as well
as within the fuse box? That would just be dumb.

<eyebrow raises>

I've also noticed other things go nutty when I'm trying to start it. One,
the oil temp gauge freaks out. Two, sometimes certain warning lights don't
appear (alt charging, oxy, and EGR)

You think its possible that inside the fuse box, some circuit broke which
caused power to the coil to cut only when the starter's activated?

Am I thinking the right way?

-Dave