RE: (was: resistance wire?) '81 16v wiring

<x-flowed>> > Since gunning the gas while cranking made both the old and new engine
> > sputter, it's something in the car, right?
>
>That part is totally illogical Mr. Spock

No shit, eh? It screws with my mind. It makes no sense. The moving of the
butterfly valves should have no relation to the coil sparking or the
electrical system not working. Right?

> > A weak path between [ignition switch terminal 15] and [fuse box
> > E2] as well
> > as within the fuse box? That would just be dumb.
>
>Probably dumb yes
> >
> > You think its possible that inside the fuse box, some circuit broke
>which
> > caused power to the coil to cut only when the starter's activated?
>
>Totally possible, more than one MkI owner has had a fusebox fail.

Welp, I have a nice '89 Jetta fuse box here. Should I go with another Mk1
fuse box, or try to adapt to a newer one?

> > Am I thinking the right way?
>
>Yes.

Comforting.

Did I mention I can't tell you how much I appreciate all this help? I owe
you huge. REAL big time. Anything I can do.. you name it.

>position.  But, when the key is in run....you still show 12 volts at the
>coil indicating that the circuit between terminal 15 of the ignition switch
>and the fusebox and the coil is good.

Right.

>Now, it is true that the ICU controls the ground for the coil via the
>ignition module and all this is dependent upon the ICU knowing that the car
>is running.  And.....the ICU controls the flow of fuel.......hrmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm feeling once the coil sparks correctly, the fuel will flow.

>The only thing I can think of is the connection at the starter.  I think it
>is possible that you have something hooked up wrong there and that isn't
>(somehow) sending the signal to the icu that the system needs fuel and
>spark
>to start....I have heard of a few people not hooking up the starter wire
>and
>then the MkI didn't run.

Ok, big ass terminal 30 goes right to the positive battery post.

Not so big solenoid swich 50 goes to the ignition switch. I know that works,
cause the starter spins.

Now that I have the Jetta starter installed, I have a terminal 15a which
hooks up to the CIS-E brain. Which is hooked up correctly.

I can't figure out what the purpose of #15a is.. just curiosity.

I'll see if I can find a fuse box.

-Dave