Re: (non-rocc) (but rabbit...) wheels and other questions

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
> > is there a rabbit mailing list like this one?
>
> Nope -but considering that the Rabbits and Sciroccos are essentially the
same
> thing, why would you look a substitute? I daily drive and rally a GTI!

    i agree with what scott says.  rocco's suck ass.  hehe, j/k, put your
guns away, people.  i myself have a mk1 jetta as a daily driver, and just
picked up an 84 rocco as my winter beater.  you don't need a roc to be part
of the list, guy.  you just gotta like em.

> I've got 14x7" rims and *they* even rub a little bit. That only happens at
full
> lean. However, thats a lot of the time! :^) I wouldn't put those boat
anchors on
> your car, anyway. I say go for 15" at the maximum. Form follows function;
ain't
> that the German way?

    hey scott, what kind of offset are you running?  14x7 is a bit of an odd
size for me as i'm used to 14x6 (i can imagine how the 14x7s would stretch
the tire out tho), but i've never run into rubbing probs.  back when i had
my jamex coilovers, i had the car DUMPED, and i ran corrado 15" rims for
about a week (before i had to give them to a bud).  the offset on them are
33 i believe, and the only time they made contact was over big bumps with me
in the drivers seat (a svelte 190lbs, and my 250lb buddy in the back).

    my secret?  completely remove the fender lip!  my gf has 16" rims on her
A1 GTI.  the car has a cabbie kit on it, so the fender lip is definitely in
the way.  but only when there's a lot of weight in the car.  the driver's
side was causing us some grief, so i cut a bit of plastic out the way, and
the problem disappeared.

    she's got koni yellow with eibach springs, so it's a half-decent drop.
i will be making adjustments to that before next spring, however.  in other
words, the car will be coming down a bit.

> The cheapest and best shocks/struts  that you'll find will probably be the
set
> of used Koni internally adjustables that I'll have available in a couple
of
> weeks. Methinks that they'll go for about $200 or so.

    if you're going to spend the dough to get 17"s, may i suggest that you
use that money to get some coilovers instead.  that way, you can slam-jam
the car and even with 14", the car will look nuts.  then, when you can
afford the 16" or 17", you can adjust the ride height to maximum drop and be
the kid with the second lowest rabbit in the land.  2 points if you can
guess who'll have the lowest...that's if she doesn't stop me first. ;)

jason
the mad bastard