Cam timing question

<x-charset iso-8859-1>So I replaced my brother's timing belt this weekend on his '85 Golf GTI.
Fairly easy job; it was my first time and it took me about 4 hours, and that
included running all over trying to find the right tools because I wasn't in
my garage.  We were working in the dirt, and halfway through the car decided
it was time to not be on jackstands anymore, so it fell with me halfway
under it.  I'll work in my garage from now on, thank you.

Anyway, my questions:

1.  Apparently this isn't the first time the belt was replaced, because the
intermediate shaft was several teeth off from the start, but the ignition
was still timed pretty well.  The intermediate shaft does nothing more than
drive the distributor, right?  I changed its timing so it was correct per
Bentley and Haynes, and we readjusted the ignition timing by ear since I
didn't have anything to get the access plug out.

2.  Are the timing marks on the pulleys set up for performing the procedure
at #1 TDC compression?  It appears that way, but I wanted to verify.

3.  I don't have my books with me, and I need to tell my brother which way
to go to retard his ignition timing because it's pinging a little when he
accelerates.  It didn't do that before we replaced the belt.  He doesn't
have a timing light.  Is it CW to retard, and CCW to advance, or did I get
that switched?

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!