1' Deep Puddle

drew wrote:
> Note that the VW diesel DOES require 12V to run - the stop selonoid in the
> injector pump cuts fuel delivery when the ignition switch breaks the
> circuit powering it, or the battery goes flat.  Also, on cars _without_
> power steering and/or air, you definitely do not want to drive with a
> broken accesory belt - otherwise the engine will quickly overheat because
> the water pump is not turning.
> Drew 84 Wolfsburg and lots of Diesels
> Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelp
> drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
> http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca

Note that it was >30 degrees out at the time the belt broke, at 4:00 AM in the
morning in central nowhere. I not only had no other choice to continue on my
way home, but I also had optimal conditions: cold and zero traffic.

I assumed that the diesel injection system used power, along with the fuel
pump and the headlights (after all it was 4:00 AM). The headlights did dim
quite substantially by the time I got home. But the monstrous battery was able
to power everything until I got home, caught some z's, then drove to the parts
store to get a replacement belt, drove home and put it on. Damn I love diesel.

This is similar to a story my friend told me of how his alternator belt broke
on his chevette in a similar central nowhere location. He got out a tied all
of the little frayed strings together quite meticulously and was able to
continue on...

-Marc

'74 VW Thing For Sale: http://getty.net/thing/ http://vwthing.org
'81 VW Jetta Diesel gone to the scrap heap after 178,000 miles
'84 VW Jetta GLi was SOLD in Oct 99 with only 164,275 miles to NJ
'87 VW Scirocco Tornado Red 16V with 167,500 Miles, got it on 7/2/99