Re: 1' Deep Puddle

<x-flowed>The manner in which you drove through the creek was not at all the manner
that my friend drove through the puddle. He went blasting through it at
about 40 miles an hour and sucked water into his intake and bent the rods
from hydraulicing (sp?). I was not referring to the cold water on hot engine
syndrome. I did work on a diesel once that had been rapidly driven into a
large puddle and the rods were soooo bent that you couldn't even turn the
engine over cause the rods were hittin the block. That was a pretty cool
story though

>From: Marc Getty <marc@getty.net>
>To: Scirocco <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: 1' Deep Puddle
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:47:43 -0500
>
>"Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I disagree. If he had just slightly bent the connecting rods it would
>cause
> > his compression to fall in one or more cyilinders. Causing it to run
>rough.
> > I have seen this happen with one of my friends rabbit and he drove
>through
> > a puddle that was very deep and he bent the rods and it ran very poorly.
> > but it still ran. If he was driving a diesel scirocco (have yet to see
> > one) then he could have done so much damage that it wouldnt run at all.
>
>I don't know about the diesel not running at all part. A few years back I
>was
>stuck in the worst thunderstorm in Philly history, 7" of rain in one hour,
>and
>I was driving my diesel at the time. Being new to cars in general at the
>time
>I did not know too much, but I was learning. I did know from the previous
>week
>that the diesel did not require electric to continue running because I
>broke
>the alternator belt and just kept driving for another 50 miles. So knowing
>this, I knew I could drive through very deep water without getting any
>wires
>wet. I also knew that water and a hot engine were not a good mix. So
>together
>with these two things I proceeded to drive through an overflowing creek.
>
>First I inched my way into the creek only enough to have the water touch my
>oil pan. I stayed there for a good minute and watched the temperature gauge
>go
>from warm to cold in only sixty seconds. After I did this I inched
>extremely
>slowly into the creek, taking about 3 to 4 minutes to immerse the engine.
>Once
>I was in the creek I did quite well! I even stopped, and picked up a
>stranded
>motorist who was stuck in between the two parts of the creek and could not
>get
>out.
>
>The only car related problems were the screaming alternator and the
>complete
>lack of breaks. The big car unrelated problem was the 18 wheeler that went
>through the creek going the opposite direction. It had a wake (to use a
>boat
>term) that actually lifted my car off the ground and floated it into the
>woods.
>
>The diesel jetta continued running for another six months before it needed
>new head. So, if properly done a diesel will go through a much deeper then
>1'
> [...]

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco