Re: 1' Deep Puddle

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Marc Getty wrote:

> I don't know about the diesel not running at all part. A few years back I was
> stuck in the worst thunderstorm in Philly history, 7" of rain in one hour, and
> I was driving my diesel at the time. Being new to cars in general at the time
> I did not know too much, but I was learning. I did know from the previous week
> that the diesel did not require electric to continue running because I broke
> the alternator belt and just kept driving for another 50 miles. So knowing

Note that the VW diesel DOES require 12V to run - the stop selonoid in the
injector pump cuts fuel delivery when the ignition switch breaks the
circuit powering it, or the battery goes flat.  Also, on cars _without_
power steering and/or air, you definitely do not want to drive with a
broken accesory belt - otherwise the engine will quickly overheat because
the water pump is not turning.

Drew
84 Wolfsburg
and lots of Diesels

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca