Re: My hel experience just keeps getting worse

Well, I don't consider my 'roc to be a hell experience but I've replaced
many of the same parts and think this is fairly typical for a 10-20 year
old VW.   Don't worry, other cars are worse.  How do you know?  Next
time you drive around, make a note of all the other cars driving around
the same age as yours.  I'll bet 75% of them are VW's.  All those other
cars have long sinced retired to junkyard heaven but the ole VW's just
keep chugging along as long as they are maintained.  Maintenance means
parts.  It's part of the Scirocco experience 8V or 16V and I enjoy it.
I'd be bored of the 'roc by now if I didn't have reason to put the
wrenches to it now and again.  Long live Scirocco!!!

P.S.  If you want the details here they are:

83 Scirocco GT - 310,000 kms (almost 200,000 miles) paid $500 CDN
In the 2 years I've owned the car the following has been replaced:
fuel line from accumulator, rear metal brake line, rear brakes, front
brakes, e-brake cable, stock exhaust x2(don't ask), tires, seats, hatch
cover, mirrors, plugs, wires, cap &rotor,  filters, O2 sensor, all 4
springs & struts, ball joint, tranny mount, rear mount, front mount,
thermostat, all vacuum lines, various coolant hoses, fan switch, clutch,
shifter bushings, shifter ball, water pump, alternator x2(don't buy
parts house crap), clutch cable(only time I got stranded), timing belt,
rear main seal, right tailight x2, front signal light, 3 cv boots, 2 cv
joints,
and lots more little things like dashboard bulbs, int. fan switch, etc.
Cost $1500 CDN at most.  No regrets.   $750 a year in maintenance on a
16 year old car is nothing.  It's less than $75/month and sure beats a
car payment.  It helps to find dedicated VW discount parts places and
getting friendly with the guys at the local pick-a-part.

Enough ranting, I'm going out to admire my investment!

Mike Hansen
83 Scirocco GT

P.S.S. To answer my own questions posted yesterday:

1.  Bolt hole on tranny mount is oriented towards the bottom of the
housing.

2.  Yes there is a gasket for the rear main seal housing.

3.  Thanks guys, the two nuts on a lug nut trick works great for
removing the fill and drain plugs on the tranny.

Josh Able wrote:

> I know what that is like. I got my rocc for $1500, the guy was asking
> $2900. Ok so I took it to the mechanic prior to buying it. I was told it
> needed about $1000  worth of work. No problem I was planning to spend near
> to $2500 on a car, so it would worked out. right?. yeah.. between that and
> other things replaced here is the list...
(snip)