RE: Clutch replacement.

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I helped my friend do his clutch last winter on his 1991 Gti.  I have always
worked on my VW myself and done everything except a engine swap and a
clutch. Same for him.  It took us about 6 hours I would guess in the end.
That was with a lift and a tranny jack.  It was very educational and now I
know much more about a clutch exactly works.

The only special tools you need are the 12 pt cv bolt tool, the special
socket for the flywheel bolts, a torque wrench, a clutch disk centering
tool, and an engine stand to hold the engine in place when you remove all
the motor mounts.

You will have to unbolt both cv joints from the tranny or remove them
totally from the car for better clearance.  Then unbolt all the motor mounts
in the correct order which is layed out in the bentley.  I think it was
passenger side rear, then the front, and then
finally the drivers sinde rear.  Before you remove the mounts make sure to
unhook the clutch cable, speedo cable, etc...from the tranny.  Once the
engine is loose and lowered a little you can unbolt the tranny from the
engine and remove it with some wiggling.
It is hard to get the tranny from the engine because the passenger side cv
cone hit the engine and can be a real bitch!

On the tranny is off use the special tool and unbolt the special flywheel
bolts, the flywheel and the clutch disk can then be removed.  They the
pressure plate can be unbolted.....Everything it done now as far as
disassembly goes.

Install in the reverse order...using new pressure plate bolts.  Also you
will need to get the flywheel resurfaced. If you order a
kit from techtonics make sure to get a new throw-out bearing and replace
that by popping off the end cap on the tranny.

We had to remove my friends tranny 3 times because it did not work and we
were sure we installed something backwards or wrong.  We could not figure it
out so he had it towed to a specialty vw shop and they discovered that the
machine shop totally
ruined the flywheel and it was not flat and instead had several high
spots....Once the flywheel was fixed his car was find. He got
the machine shop to pay for it too!

If you have patience and are carefull you should be able to do it!