Re: Slipping belts?

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:14:22 -0800 "Brad Sterling"
<bgsterling@earthlink.net> writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I got a chance to but ~280 miles on the 'Roc this weekend nice and
early.
>Only limited traffic, so I could open it up a little.  One of the things
>happening is my voltage light comes on and there's a noticeable dip on
the
>voltage meter when the car spins at about 5500 rpm.  Do you think the
belts
>are slipping or is something else going on here?

At that RPM chances are good that you have a slipping belt. Its been my
experience that my brushes were worn down enough to let them float at
anything over 5,000 rpms and my voltage would drop to 12V and id have a
slight batt light glow. Do the routine, check the belt, maybe adjust it
and retest. Wouldn't hurt to drop the voltage regulator out and take a
gander at the brushes.

>Also, what the hell is with drivers in Los Angeles and San Diego.

Its what I call the "commuter syndrome".

So many people are so used to getting behind somebody and riding it out
until they get to work/home that the rules of the road get completely
ignored. On my trip a few years ago from San Diego to NY I noticed that
it got worse as you came near, passed thru and left bigger towns. Traffic
slows down, people ride the fast lane and even tho your blazing the high
beams to get them to move over they just continue on their merry way. Its
truly sad and of the many things I truly miss about living in Germany is
the autobahn system. Gawd I miss that! Its like a whole different
lifestyle.

So you can either get used to it or don't drive. I choose to fight them
myself.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and