Slipping belts?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi all,

	I got a chance to but ~280 miles on the 'Roc this weekend nice and early.
Only limited traffic, so I could open it up a little.  One of the things
happening is my voltage light comes on and there's a noticeable dip on the
voltage meter when the car spins at about 5500 rpm.  Do you think the belts
are slipping or is something else going on here?

	<rant>
	Also, what the hell is with drivers in Los Angeles and San Diego.  It was
very interesting to watch traffic fill the freeways on Friday.  As the road
filled with cars, the left lane (#1 lane) filled first!  At multiple times,
I noticed that there would be a group of cars, 4 in the #1 lane, 3 in the #2
lane, 1 in the #3 lane, and wide open in the #4 lane (aka the slow lane).
What is the deal?  Since when does 70 mph guarantee you the fast lane?  Why
do people head straight to the left lane as they come puttering onto the
freeway at 45.  I'm getting really tired of the self centered, not aware of
the people around them attitude that is all over the place out here.  Not to
say that the rest of the country doesn't have screwed up drivers (my job
gives me a chance to find that out), but man this is frustrating.
	</rant>

-Brad
'86.5 Scirocco 16V
'76 International Scout II