Re: Atlanta Emissions Testing

I really don't know about Atlanta specifically, but...

Generally speaking, emissions are not retroactive.  You should only have
to pass the emissions standards of the chassis year of the car.   So an
'84 has to meet '84 standards, not '99.  Here in Virginia (where they
recently adoped the more stringent CA emissions), if the car doesn't pass
emissions, you have to spend a certain amount attempting to fix it (I
think it's either $75 or $250) and if it doesn't pass, it gets a waiver.
But this is likely to vary from state to state.  But it's entirely
possible you won't have a problem.  Just because it's an old car doesn't
mean it'll fail.  My Jetta, which is a CA car, has never had an issue
with emissions.  My Scirocco passed with a dead pressure regulator after
only minor fiddling.  Every other time it passed with plenty of room to
spare.  If you aren't sure, take to to a shop where they do exhaust
testing and see what kind of readings you get.

If anyone has any more input, please add...

B.

'82 Scirocco (aka "Fritz")
'85 Jetta