alternator regulator (part 2)

When I pulled the regulator I noticed that the two brushes were
different lengths.  I assume that this is what is causing my problems
(battery is getting drained b/c the system isn't getting charged--car
won't start w/o a jump, and then runs for little while until battery
gets drained and then engine shuts down).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't file down the other brush until it
is the same height as the other one?  The shorter brush is still a
good 1/2" long.

Thanks,

Victor