Re: Head Bolts

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:51:23 PST "Chris DeLong" <green536@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Now this is rather confusing. "I've don't"? or "I dont"? I would have to
say
>that if you don't torque the bolts to their proper tightness then you
are a
>fool!

Chill out. It should of said, "Ive done this part a few times and it
never feels quite right".
That means it doesnt feel right to torque something and then go an
additional 1/2 turn. Then again, im sure you dont understand so whatever.

>There is a reason that the book says to do this. Not tightening your
>headbolts to the proper specification means that you WILL end up with
>premature headgasket leakage. They are stretch bolts and are designed
>to stretch with the head as the engine heats up and contract
respectively. I
>have done many headgaskets where the bolts were almost finger tight
>and i would directly attribute this to undertightening.

Funny that you say this.....

>As to whether or not to reuse 16V bolts. I would say it would be a good
idea
>cause they are significantly longer than the 8V bolts. And therefore
>probably dont have the capacity to stretch more that one use.

Length doesnt matter. What does matter is that the 16V and the 8V bolts
are both stretch bolts. They both should be replaced and used ONLY once.

>8V bolts on the other hand; i have reused them many times (the stretch
>bolts) and from my experience i have come to the conclusion that reusing

>them more than once is abad idea. But I wouldnt hesitate to use them
again
>if it was only the second time used on an engine. basically, use new
bolts
>only twice after you take them out of the bag.HTH

Again, do whatever you want with your car. The best peace of mind comes
with new headbolts in all my VW motors.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and