Re: Head Bolts

<x-flowed>Now this is rather confusing. "I've don't"? or "I dont"? I would have to say
that if you don't torque the bolts to their proper tightness then you are a
fool! There is a reason that the book says to do this. Not tightening your
headbolts to the proper specification means that you WILL end up with
premature headgasket leakage. They are stretch bolts and are designed to
stretch with the head as the engine heats up and contract respectively. I
have done many headgaskets where the bolts were almost finger tight and i
would directly attribute this to undertightening.

As to whether or not to reuse 16V bolts. I would say it would be a good idea
cause they are significantly longer than the 8V bolts. And therefore
probably dont have the capacity to stretch more that one use.

8V bolts on the other hand; i have reused them many times (the stretch
bolts) and from my experience i have come to the conclusion that reusing
them more than once is abad idea. But I wouldnt hesitate to use them again
if it was only the second time used on an engine. basically, use new bolts
only twice after you take them out of the bag.HTH

>Ive
>don't this part a few times and it never feels quite right. That's a
>bunch of stress on each bolt and for my money, I don't want to risk
>stripping the threads in either the block or the bolt, no do I want to
>run the risk of matching the sheer point of the bolt when im doing the
>final torque.
>
>That's just me, keep in mind that its your car, so you do whatever you
>want. GL!
>

>               Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
>best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag