Re: Head Bolts

<x-flowed>

>Chill out. It should of said, "Ive done this part a few times and it
>never feels quite right".
>That means it doesnt feel right to torque something and then go an
>additional 1/2 turn. Then again, im sure you dont understand so whatever.
<snip>

I don't understand cause I only work on VW's and wouldnt know the "feeling"
of torqueing bolts on american cars or airplanes. So it is normal procedure
for me to have this "feeling" when I torque the bolts.

>Funny that you say this.....
>

> >As to whether or not to reuse 16V bolts. I would say it would be a good
>idea
> >cause they are significantly longer than the 8V bolts. And therefore
> >probably dont have the capacity to stretch more that one use.
<snip>

well you got me there :) that should have said: It WOULDN'T be a good idea.

>Length doesnt matter. What does matter is that the 16V and the 8V bolts
>are both stretch bolts. They both should be replaced and used ONLY once.
<snip>

Length most certainly does matter if you're talking about the structural
integrity of the bolt. 16V bolts are very much longer and more prone to
breakage than 8V bolts. On the same note, of all the times I've installed
heads and used new and used bolts the only time I've ever had one break was
when I was using a new one and it was in the process of being torqued to 60
NM. That was before the extra 1/2 turn. The maximum holding power of any
bolt is acheived when it has entered the threads the same distance the bolt
is thick. I know that sounds kinda contradictory but I thought I'de throw
that tidbit at ya. In regards to the length of the bolt, it is more likely
to lose its integrity if it is longer as opposed to shorter.

Just felt like nitpickin. :)

> >8V bolts on the other hand; i have reused them many times (the stretch
> >bolts) and from my experience i have come to the conclusion that reusing
>
> >them more than once is abad idea. But I wouldnt hesitate to use them
>again
> >if it was only the second time used on an engine. basically, use new
>bolts
> >only twice after you take them out of the bag.HTH
>

>Again, do whatever you want with your car. The best peace of mind comes
>with new headbolts in all my VW motors.
>

>               Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
>best looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
'80 16V Rag