Re: damn e-brake assembly

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Nathan Malone wrote:

> Ok, My e-brake is messed up,
> on the handle assembly the little metal slab pin thing
> (i dont know what to call it) Its the thing that holds the
> quarter circle gear in place inside the handle and prevents
> it from moving on its pivot that it shares with the handle.
> If you know what I'm talking about, it broke off and the
> handle wont stay up, I can rig it so it does, but this is very
> insufficient and a real pain in me bum.

Nathan, I have the EXACT same problem, and know exactly what part you are
talking about.

> My question is,
> is there a aftermarket e-brake handle assembly kit I can buy?
> (I need the complete handle assembly from the flat sheet metal of the
> body to the cable)
> either bolt on or weld will work, or do I need to pull some miracle
> miniature spot weld job, put another tiny gear holder on the current
> assembly,
> Any ideahs any one?

Call Potterman baby! He got me a replacement from VW.  The problem is it's
not just the bracket (used to be able to get it all by itself), but its
the bracket and a piece of the "hump" that it is welded to.  Potter got me
the piece, but it's a little expensive ($80 I think) and you have to weld
it in.

> sorry if my discription is somewhat confusing,
> but if you under stood it, is this a common problem?
> it hasn't happened to my previous VW's.

I don't know how common it is, but you've got a fellow person going
through the same thing.

Eric