damn e-brake assembly

Ok, My e-brake is messed up,
on the handle assembly the little metal slab pin thing
(i dont know what to call it) Its the thing that holds the
quarter circle gear in place inside the handle and prevents
it from moving on its pivot that it shares with the handle.
If you know what I'm talking about, it broke off and the
handle wont stay up, I can rig it so it does, but this is very
insufficient and a real pain in me bum.
My question is,
is there a aftermarket e-brake handle assembly kit I can buy?
(I need the complete handle assembly from the flat sheet metal of the
body to the cable)
either bolt on or weld will work, or do I need to pull some miracle
miniature spot weld job, put another tiny gear holder on the current
assembly,
Any ideahs any one?

sorry if my discription is somewhat confusing,
but if you under stood it, is this a common problem?
it hasn't happened to my previous VW's.

TIA
Nathan