clicking (cam followers?)

Hey Guys,

My little Rocc is making that infomous, light clicking
kinda tapping noise coming from the cam areah, my
understanding is that this is the lifters (cam followers)
is this always correct, or might it be something else?
this has happened before on previous VW's but I was
not able at the time to do it myself, so I took it to my old mech,
and dont remember what he said it was.
also if I'm going to change the lifters I thought I might as
well put in a better cam, can you guys give me sugestions
on what cam is good? I want some thing that will add performance
obviously, but I dont want to have to upgrade valve springs,
so I'm guessing I wont be able to get one with a large lobe increase.
is this true? Or am I thinking of V8 technology too much?
any experiences and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
BTW my eng is a 84 jh 1.8L 8v

Thank you kind sirs,
Nathan
80 scirocco (with that damn tapping)