Re: new Rabbit GTi

<x-charset iso-8859-1>WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> will the power steering off of my 84 scirocco wolfie fit on the rabbit?

Sure.

> if so, how big of a pain in the ass is the job.

Eh... I've never done it before...

> what are the cheapest high performance springs and struts I can get?

The cheapest decent set up would be something used! Anything that you buy new
thats a lot less expensive than everything else is probably going to be shite.
For example, take a look at the H–r springs. $99 buys you absolute shite. Fyi
(and everyone else's), I've got a pair strut assemblies for sale. They are
comprised by some old (but entirely functional) Eibach front lowering springs,
Boge Turbogas inserts, newish strut bearings, new bumpstops, and ripped dust
covers (big deal). I'm looking for the best offer on them but I'm reasonable.

> I want the STRONGEST (i.e I want them to hold up when I go gravel pit driving.)
> ones I can get.
> what is my best bet?

If you really intend to go driving offroad then you aren't going to buy anything
that works for cheap. I'm about to drop $400 on a set of used front and rear
Bilstein rally sport shocks. That's a friggin' *steal*.

> besides the exhaust and intake, and the g grind cam,
> what other cheap(ish) performance mods should I look for?

Port your intake manifold out to accept a bigger A2 or Audi throttlebody. I paid
$50 to have my manifold welded and ported and then another $25 to get the
throttlebody.

> what is the cost (approx) of getting a head ported and polished?

I paid $700 for 8v head. The intake was ported but left rough whereas I polished
the exhaust. That also included high tension springs and all gaskets. I didn't
get any flowbench numbers. However, the butt dyno says that it works great
-especially at higher rpms! Sometimes I think that the motor could make more
torque, though...

> what kind of performance can I look to see from this car after the
> afformentioned mods?

I'll give you a guesstimate that with a 1.8l GTI motor you'll make (without the
headwork) about 115 - 120 horsepower with proper exhaust, intake
manifold/throttlebody, and g-cam.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut