new Rabbit GTi

well, I am on the brink of buying an 84 GTi. if I sell my mitsu starion, I am
gonna put some money on my student loan, and spend the rest on a decent 84
rabbit down the street from me. the body is kinda shitty, and the paint is
original (not good) but it only has 87k miles and runs really good. some
questions. will the power steering off of my 84 scirocco wolfie fit on the
rabbit? if so, how big of a pain in the ass is the job.  what are the
cheapest highperformance springs and struts I can get. I want the STRONGEST
(i.e I want them to hold up when I go gravel pit driving.) ones I can get.
what is my best bet? besides the exhaust and intake, and the g gring cam,
what other cheap(ish) performance mods should I look for? what is the cost
(approx) of getting a head ported and polished? what kind of performance can
I look to see from this car after the afformentiond mods?  15's in the 1/4
mile? lower? any advice is nice.

thanks,
MJH