Re: recommended 185/60/14 tires?

Hi David,
	I've had 4 sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE-930s on several of my cars, and
have them now on both of my cars (Scirocco and the Mercedes) and absolutely
love them.  In addition, I have 12 (count them, 12) friends who have
followed my recommendation and bought them for their cars... and we're
unanimously agreed that there is no better high-performance all-season
tire.  We've all put a lot of miles on them, and not once have I heard a
complaint... never.

	I have about 28,000 miles on my current set and they're still legal, but
I'm anal about tires, so I'm going to get a new set.  I have 12,000 on the
set on the Mercedes and they're about 1/3 worn, if that.

	Excellent dry traction, stiff sidewalls, and incredible in the rain.
Smooth, quiet, and just plain fucking awesome... as far as all-seasons go.

	Someone suggested RE-91s as well.  I have them as my summer tire for the
Scirocco and again, they're second to none.  Incredible dry performance,
quiet as the RE-930s, and simply great in the rain.  My friend Scott has
gone through 4 sets of them on his Jetta, and gets 30k out of each set.  I
have 10k on my set now and they're about 1/2 done... so YMMV.  But for the
price, you can't beat them.  Check them out on the Tire Rack... but if
there's even a HINT of snow in your area, you'll be stuck in your driveway.
 And, I'm not sure they're available in stock size-- I have them in
195/50-15s.

	I also have experience with Michelin all-seasons (I think they were MX4s)
and they were shitty in the dry but okay in the rain and snow.  Goodyear
Eagle GAs were simply the worst tire I've encountered-- decent dry traction
(when "H" rated, horrible when "S", I've had both), but HORRENDOUS in the
rain and snow.. and I destroyed a set in less than 12,000 miles.

	I got my Mom a set of Dunlop D60 A2s for her Camry-- and they were
impressive.  Dry traction was decent, but they have wabbly sidewalls.
Their wet traction (esp under braking) was absolutely incredible.

	Pirellis (the 600 in particular) has a bad rap for wet traction, but I'd
say it's mid-pack, judging from my experience with them on a 3-series BMW
and my Mercedes.  Dry performance is decent, but the Mercedes went from a
tank to a slot-car (obviously I'm exaggerating) when I went from the
Pirellis to the RE-930s.

	Avoid the Yokohama S-series tires.  The worst (read: FLEX) sidewall design
I've encountered, plain scary transient handling... and you can expect to
get 8-10,000 miles out of them... and they're badged a 60,000 mile tire!!

	So, to sum:

	All season		Bridgestone Potenza RE-930.  Like $48 a piece.
	Summer		Bridgestone Potenza RE-71.  Like $62  a piece.

Believe me, you won't regret it.

Jason

At 03:10 PM 10/31/99 , you wrote:

>hey there-
>do you guys have any recommendations for stock size tires for the 16v?
>(185/60/14) - i have heard good things about the dunlop d60 a2's
>thanks
>dave
>

>--

1987 Scirocco 16v