Re: Re: H&R Coilovers

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

> Here is what KWcoiloversÆ from europe has to say about lowering at 40mm
> and 70mm.
>    70mm Lowering:
>
>  Stock coilover strut(left) now has almost
> zero travel and damping, ride is stiffer
> due to increased spring compression;
> KW threaded coilover strut retains original
> spring length and ride qualities."
> read it for yourself and look at the explanitory pictures at:
>
> http://www.hpamotorsports.com/kw_susp.htm

    okay, maybe there's something wrong with my brain here, but i'm looking
at this picture and thinking that the strut will still hammer itself into
uselessness.

    sure, the spring retains it's original height, but the strut is still
being compressed into the strut body, whose travel has been reduced
considerably.  the spring will compress the same distance, but before the
spring binds, the strut will have made contact with the bottom of the strut
assembly.

> BTW, it does appear (from the "pictures") that the KWcoilover strut/shock
> body is indeed shorter. Thus collaborating what Chris is saying. I also
> agree that the most advantageous aspect of coilover suspensions is the
> ability to "corner balance" your car.
> However, the HPAmotorsports site
> seems targeted at pushing coilovers as the way to "properly" lower your
> car. I guess most of the money comes from image concious street drivers,
> seeking to impress their friends by seeing who can leave the most paint
> on speedbumps. The money form AutoX people probably pales in comparison.

    hehe.  i happen to be one of them poor misguided fools that is
completely set on having a super-slammed ride.  why?  cuz it looks SO
menacing as it strolls down the street.  and if it's a runner, then it's
that much cooler.  so many kids out there have there cars dumped to the
floor and drive like old ladies.  fuck that.  i want to slamjam my ride,
then spank everyone in sight :)

    don't get me wrong.  autoX is the shit, but street racing is 24-7.  i
know, i'm retarded...

jason
the mad bastard