My New Car Died! Yikes!

Hello!

While cruising in Berkeley today, my Scirocco died!  Help!

I was sitting at a stop light and the car just died.  I was able to
coast somewhat across the intersection when the light changed (while
being embarrassed by honking...ouch!) and drift into a parking space.

It would start after slightly more than usual cranking, go up to 800-1K
rpm, and then die again.  After several tries and looking under the hood
it wouldn't start at all...only try.

Called a tow truck, and the tow truck guy unclamped a big black hose
going to the throttle body (?).  It's a Neuspeed part, and that's what I
think he called it, anyways, he sprayed in starting fluid, and it revved
up right away although somewhat erratically because of the way he was
spraying the starting fluid.

Any guesses what's wrong?  The tow truck guy said it was some part of
the fuel system that was causing my problem, probably the fuel pump.
And he mentioned that he's seen it before on some VW Rabbits.

Can anyone help me?  I lack the ability to troubleshoot this and fix
it.  I can pay!

One of you is in Milpitas I think...and Norwegian name?  Unfortunately
most of my scirocco-l mail is on my computer at work....

Help!

All the best,
-Norm