Re: My New Car Died! Yikes!

Norman Tallant wrote:

> Hello!
>
> While cruising in Berkeley today, my Scirocco died!  Help!

The main problem you are having is you should have been down the street
and around the corner at the New Dimensions' show. :)

Shawn has the official head count but I saw over 30+ myself.

> I was sitting at a stop light and the car just died.  I was able to
> coast somewhat across the intersection when the light changed (while
> being embarrassed by honking...ouch!) and drift into a parking space.
>
> It would start after slightly more than usual cranking, go up to 800-1K
> rpm, and then die again.  After several tries and looking under the hood
> it wouldn't start at all...only try.

Might be spark, might be fuel. Less read on.

> Called a tow truck, and the tow truck guy unclamped a big black hose
> going to the throttle body (?).  It's a Neuspeed part, and that's what I
> think he called it, anyways, he sprayed in starting fluid, and it revved
> up right away although somewhat erratically because of the way he was
> spraying the starting fluid.

DON'T let the Tow Truck Guy spray starting fluid in your car.

1. It's not a carburetor, It's F.I.

2. Starting fluid may have stuff in it that will combust to create
sulfurous products. Bad news for the catalytic convertor.

3. The big Neuspeed part was either-

A.) A different throttle body to Air Intake plenum tube, or

B.) He was talking about the Neuspeed Upper Anti Flex bar that may have
been in the way. or

C.) He was blowing smoke up yer patootie.

> Any guesses what's wrong?  The tow truck guy said it was some part of
> the fuel system that was causing my problem, probably the fuel pump.
> And he mentioned that he's seen it before on some VW Rabbits.

The Fuel Filter is easy to replace, is relatively cheap and is a no
brainer to swap out if you have never before since owning the car.

A fuel relay might cause the original problem, but the fact that extra
stuff squirted in the intake allowed it to run leads me to doubt the
feul pump, blockage in the lines (maybe that filter), or an air leak.

> Can anyone help me?  I lack the ability to troubleshoot this and fix
> it.  I can pay!

Heh, heh. Lets not start talking money, right from the get go.

> One of you is in Milpitas I think...and Norwegian name?  Unfortunately
> most of my scirocco-l mail is on my computer at work....
>
> Help!
>
> All the best,
> -Norm

I'm gonna be in Oakland-Berkely-Richmond this evening, want me to stop
by?

TBerk
650 322-2942