Re: Stumper. WTF. New one to me. Anyone?

I had similar symptoms on my car.
this is what I found.

on one of my cars.  84 GTI I had a cut out
problem that finally linked itself to the ignition
control module.  rev the motor up when the car
is hot and then let it off to idle and it would die
sometimes I could rev the car up and it would die
and come back on   it was really bizzarre.
it was the module, ran the bentley tests.. and it
was bad bad bad.

my current 85 gti HAD a cut off problem in the fuel
system.  somehow the fuel pump would cut off
from time to time.. but it also affected at startup.
don't know if that is similar to what you have but its
worth looking into.  it was my fuel pump that was
going out.  replaced it and now its fixed.

I'd say that the fuel pump relay might be causing this
but if you already swapped it with a known good one.
then it should've fixed it.

Your problem sounds electrical indeed.
those pops are probably the car firing with flooded
cylinders.
hhmmm.

I'd say get it to shut off again with someone around
and check for spark.

HTH

Mark