trans fluid leak

I have a slow transmission fluid leak that looks like it can be fixed with
an axle seal.  Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?  If
so, can it be done by an amateur?  Any special considerations?

I'm hoping the leak is the source of the recent increase in the 'notchy'
shifting feel.  I've also been having difficulties shifting into 1st and
2nd when car is anything but hot.  I have all new bushings (an all
rubber/nylon parts in linkage) and 2 piece short shifter installed (50%
reduction forward and sideways).

Thanks for any help!

-Aaron
 84 8V <--  cracked frame to be fixed soon! YEY!