tmb airbox tech procedure

hey richard, you'll get conflicting opinions on this one.  some people
swear that you lose power by chopping up your 'box, cuz you'll suck hot
air into it from the motor.  other people will say that you'll get power
gains from it, cuz the air will be forced up into the airbox by the
motion of the car.

	my view is that you will lose power on a hot day, but gain power when
it is cooler.  from what i have heard, you have to be travelling over
80mph (140km/h?) to see any gains on the street.  b'coz until then, the
force of the air is not enough to ram itself into the airbox.

	i once heard that mike potterman did a test whereby he dynoed his car
with a stock airbox, then right afterwards he tested again with a highly
molested 'box and found an extra 7hp! (please note that mike has hisself
a highly modified 8V motor)  this may be the result of a motor wasn't
really that hot, so that the airbox was inhaling relatively cool air.  i
don't know.  what i do know is that i no longer have a lower half to my
airbox.  i cut the hell out of it.  and i'm doing pretty well for myself
on the streets. 	plus the car sounds throatier!

	if you want the details on how i did it, please read on:

tools:
1 ratchet
1 6" (or greater) ratchet extension
1 13mm socket
1 10mm socket
1 10mm wrench
1 phillips screwdriver
1 flathead screwdriver
1 can of anti-sieze
1 dremel with a solid fiberglass reinforced cutter
a couple of rags

optional, but recommended:
K&N air filter
K&N air filter cleaner
a big marker
sandpaper, 100 grit or thereabouts

1. remove battery (not necessary, but it makes things a lot easier) by
using a 10mm socket or wrench on the terminals, and a 13mm socket on the
base of the battery.

2. unstrap the 4 clips (or was it 3?) that hold the two halves of the
airbox together.

3. using the screwdriver(s), disconnect any part of the air intake
piping connected to the airbox from underneath the airbox, the throttle
body, or the motor.  some parts are pressure fitted on, and need only to
be removed with "gentle" force.

4. you should now be able to separate the two halves of the airbox far
enough that the airfilter can be removed.  if it's all dirty, and it's a
K&N filter, clean it.  if it is a paper filter, and still bright white,
take it out and burn it (but only if you have a K&N to put in it's
place)

5. stick your hand in behind the airbox and unstrap the final clip the
holds the bottom portion of the airbox in place.  there are also two
small nubs that jut out and rest inside rubber grommets in the bottom of
the battery tray.  with a bit of twisting and turning, you should be
able to slip it all out.

6. look at it.

7. grab a marker and trace out the lines of attack.  these lines should
mark off the removal most of the entire lower portion of the airbox.
please make sure that you cut __around__ the aforementioned nubs that
hold the 'box onto the battery tray, the clip on the rear of the airbox,
and the small pipe that connects to the stock airbox piping.

8. get the dremel out, and start chopping!  use the lines as a guide,
otherwise step 7 was a waste of my time.

9. sand the edges down and get rid of any excess plastic chips.  and if
the box itself is dirty, now is the time to bust out the rags and
whatever cleaning solution you have kicking around.

10.  reinstall everything in the reverse of the removal.

11. make sure you thoroughly clean the battery terminals and connectors,
and the battery hold down screw.

12. baste the three listed items (well, 5, really)  lovingly in
anti-sieze compound.

13.  make sure that everything is reconnected nice and tight, start the
beast up, and go and make some noise.

	please note that this mod really doesn't do much for digifart-systemed
vws.  hth!

	time to get back to my studying...

jason
the mad bastard