16V Octane Requirements (Was "fleecing")

Okay, on my 87 16v:
The fuel flap says "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only"
The owner's manual says:

The 91 RON Octane rating which you will find on the inside of the fuel tank
flap is based on the research method.  (This is 87 AKI in the US)

Premuim Gas instead of regular:
Your engine runs equally well on premium gasoline, but, with the exception
of the 123 hp engine, neither fuel consumption nor engine performance are
likely to be affected.

Regular gasoline with low RON/AKI rating:
Your engine will run but avoid full power as engine can be damaged.  Fill
up with correct fuel as soon as possible.

----- My experience:

I run 93 only on my 16v.  I have also used 92 when 93 is not available, and
noticed no difference in the engine's performance, or fuel economy.

I ran one tank of 89, and will never do it again.  I'd rather call AAA and
have them bring me 93.  The engine's exhaust note was flat, the car felt as
if it was running 3 A/C Compressors at the same time (i.e. sluggish), and
my fuel economy SUCKED (around 23mpg when I'm usually over 30mpg.)

The 16v is designed to run on anything over 87.  Anything over 91 is a
waste, as the ignition can't advance itself further (with stock timing
settings, of course).  Running anything between 87 and 91 is just fine and
dandy, provided (a) your KS system is working correctly, and (b) you don't
mind the loss of performance.

My $0.02

Jason