Re: fleecing of automobile owners

    Actually, I think 16v's were designed to run on 89. I could be wrong, but my
understanding is that the "93" rating on the gas flap is a European rating
system, which translates to 89 on US pumps (this is assuming that you're in the
US). My 8.5:1 QSW says to use "91" on the gas flap, and then in the owner's
manual that this translates to 87 on US pumps. Why they didn't just use the US
rating on the sticker for cars that they sold in the US, I don't know. Crazy
Germans. : )
I think the Euro method is ROZ/RON and the US method is (R+M)/2 but I could be
wrong.
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI
    '87 QSW