Re: fleecing of automobile owners

Are ya sure it's pinging? I thought my GTI was pinging for a long time... finally
realized it was just an exhaust manifold leak that for some odd reason sounds a
little like pinging and only shows up under full throttle. What tipped me off was
that octane ratings didn't appreciably change the noise (I have since been
running 87 octane and have no problems with it. I THINK my gas mileage went up
but I can't prove it because my odometer doesn't work).
    If it really is pinging with 93, then you probably have some serious carbon
buildup in the cylinders or the timing is way advanced. In both of these cases I
think the knock sensor/ timing control computer stuff would have to be not
functioning.
    Good luck!
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI